Wednesday 16 February 2011

hard to say goodbye



I'm never too good at saying good bye. Today was officially the last day at school for all students and teachers. Me and more than 20 other teachers who were leaving had to do good bye bows to be broadcasted through TVs in each classroom. It was pretty fast. And then, some of the students I've taught, came up to find me in my classroom and we exchanged hugs. It was all very sweet and nice until I said good bye to this student I haven't even noticed I had in my class. (I was teaching 600+ students this year). I was trying to remember where I'd seen her. She was looking down and hesitant to say something. Then, she said "I can't .. speak English." I felt the tears welling up from deep within me. I hugged her and said, "NO you are very good in English." I wanted to tell her that she was just perfect the way she is. But I had to let her go to hide my tears. After that, I met one of the teachers who was also a mother of two students I was teaching. They were one of my favorite students and when I heard thank you from the teacher, and her wish for me to be happy, I felt again my nose getting red. It was especially grateful because I wanted my students to be motivated to learn and I was happy to see them enjoy learning. I tried and when I saw them being excited about what they learned and knew, it made EVERYTHING worthwhile. I wish they grow up to be the person who remember what they were like as a kid. You were just perfect. Today is the happiest and the saddiest day of my life. Thank you...

Leaders are more powerful role models when they learn than when they teach.
- Rosabeth Moss Kantor

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
- John Quincy Adams
1 2 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! :)